Monday, July 07, 2008

World Open Victory!

With 5 wins, 2 draws, and 2 losses I clinched 5th place at the World Open 2008.

It was satisfying. I do not suck at chess. I played Russians, Chinese, Americans, and an Indian... older folks with experience on their side, younger folks with sharp wits, and one coached by NM Dan Heisman. I held my own.

Being in Philadelphia for the 4th of July with blunderprone, chessloser, Ivan, and Shelly (superknight42) rocked. They're wonderful.


But I was already brooding as I rode the shuttle back to the airport. I played every ending correctly. But I didn't take 4th because of a psychological error. And I didn't take 3rd due to tactical mistakes. And I didn't take 1st or 2nd because those players knew their openings.

The cycle begins anew. I will train away my weaknesses, and next time my opponents will have twice as much reason to fear me.

 

[ Note: Thanks to everyone who wished me luck. The confidence I gained from those encouragements really helped, especially after the first loss. :) ]

15 comments:

Dylan Byte said...

Wow let me be the first to say congratulations! I'm sure I can learn a lot from you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Likeforests!!!

That is an awesome achievement!

You make me even more inspired to keep studying the endings!!


TommyG

Banatt said...

Wow! Nice job, 5th is really something!

You can't kick yourself for not getting 1st or 2nd, It's like saying "I lost because he was better than me". That's why you train!

You did good! Cheer up!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

You worked a lot on your endgames and it paid off! Enjoy!

likesforests said...

shallow & sciurus, thanks. :)

tommyg, endings were a crucial component in 7 of the games. If I didn't have that skill to fall back on the tournament would have ended very differently.

banatt, you're right, it is an accomplishment. But I see #5 and my first thought is, ok, now how do I become #1/#2 next time? ;)

Chessaholic said...

awesome, congratulations man! and I love your attitude - never be satisfied, there's always room for improvement :)

BlunderProne said...

Not a bad result considering this your official first OTB event!

I'll bet you'll be feared next event. Great to have met up with you!

transformation said...

very, very, very inspiring. you rock man! warmest, dk

tanch said...

Totally awesome. well done, likeforests!

Your performance was excellent!

Don't brood over what could have been done. For the moment, just enjoy that you've accomplished a great result.

Glenn Wilson said...

Fifth is a great accomplishment. Congrats!

Blue Devil Knight said...

Way to go! What a great first tournament.

likesforests said...

Thanks everyone! I plan to return next year--hopefully the same folks will be back and a few more fellow chess bloggers will join us. :)

Robert Pearson said...

Heartiest congratulations on your good play! I linked up to the tournament reports of you and some of the other bloggers over at my place. Also, I apologize for not linking to your excellent blog before, but am going take care of that promptly when I update links.

Best Regards,

Robert

Our Sword said...

Wow, that is amazing. Congrats! Your experience seems to be the epitome of what chess players strive for, a strong performance in a huge tournament, and getting to hang out with other cool chess addicts. It gives me something to shoot for. Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.